Sleep Apnea & Snoring Treatment
After observing unusual behavior and excessive tiredness in his son, Billy, he did as any father would and started extensively researching the problem. He went to pediatricians, ENTs and allergy doctors before learning about apnea. The physicians did not take his concern seriously even when they held his son back from starting kindergarten because of his limited attention span and hyperactive behavior. When he took him to the sleep center at Rush a sleep test showed severe apnea. Tonsillectomy improved the apnea and Bill went on to graduate college magna cum laude with double majors and double minors in 4 years. This would not have occurred if he was forced to struggle through his formative and school years without good healthy sleep. Dr. Shapira, seeing the incredible changes in his son became intrigued about the nuances of this condition, and realized that this new field needed more attention, he set out on a mission to learn more. After years of research and education, Dr. Shapira brings his sleep disorder knowledge and expertise to his Illinois patients at Delany Dental Care. His son and his patients have benefited tremendously from Dr. Shapira's unwavering commitment to treatment of sleep apnea.
Ira L. Shapira, DDS, FICCMO
General Dentistry, Sleep Disorders, Neuromuscular Dentistry
Education And Professional Affiliations
- Bachelor of Science, Microbiology Ohio State University
- Doctor of Dental Surgery Loyola University Chicago (1977)
- Fellow of the International College of Cranio- Mandibular Disorders Former International Regent
- Lecturer American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine
- Lecturer International College of Craniomandibular Disorders
- Diplomat of the Academy of Pain Management
- Former Assistant Professor at Rush Medical School Sleep Disorder Service
- Charter Member of the Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (originally named Sleep Disorder Dental Society)
- Charter Member of Sleep Disorder Dental Society
- Credentialed by Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- Diplomat American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine
- Graduate of Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies
- American Academy of cosmetic Dentistry
- International academy of Comprehensive Esthetics
- International Academy of Oral Implantology
- American Dental Association
- Chicago Dental Society
- Illinois Dental Society
- Academy of General Dentistry
- American Equilibration Society
- American Academy of Craniofacial Pain
My wife Elise and anything that has to do with our two children, Rachel and Billy. Collecting animation art, travel, scuba diving, tennis, reading, everything and anything from fiction to biographies as well as scientific and medical journals. My wife and I started dance lessons after 31 years of marriage for my sons wedding. We truly love the experience and are continuing our lessons and are developing a passion for dancing.
Cosmetic and reconstructive dentistry, implant rehabilitation, pain and headache management, TMJ disorders, research and treatment of snoring and sleep apnea, anti-aging medicine, and stem cell research for collection of non-embryonic stem cells, for treatment of chronic disease and life extension. I currently hold four issued patents in this area and hope to make major changes in the practice of dentistry and be involved in the extension of longer healthier lives.
Philosophy of Care
"I like to think of my patients as though they were members of my family. I want them to have the quality of care they can appreciate and I would expect for myself or my family. That's why I try to stay current with the latest findings in the field of dentistry. My patients deserve every advantage possible." I used to merely practice dentistry but now I find I am changing peoples lives.
Read articles authored by Dr. Ira Shapira.
Meet Sleep Apnea Dentist, Dr. Shapira in person and find out why so many Chicago families put their trust in him. Call or email Delany Dental Care today for your sleep apnea evaluation.