After observing unusual behavior and excessive tiredness in his son, Billy, he did as any father would and started extensively researching the problem. He went to pediatricians, ENTs and allergy doctors before learning about apnea. The physicians did not take his concern seriously even when they held his son back from starting kindergarten because of his limited attention span and hyperactive behavior.
When he took him to the sleep center at Rush, a sleep test showed severe apnea.
Tonsillectomy improved the apnea and Bill went on to graduate college magna cum laude with double majors and double minors in 4 years. This would not have occurred if he was forced to struggle through his formative and school years without good healthy sleep.
Dr. Shapira, seeing the incredible changes in his son became intrigued about the nuances of this condition, and realized that this new field needed more attention, he set out on a mission to learn more. After years of research and education, Dr. Shapira brings his sleep disorder knowledge and expertise to his Illinois patients at Think Better Life. His son and his patients have benefited tremendously from Dr. Shapira's unwavering commitment to treatment of sleep apnea.
Ira L. Shapira, DDS, FICCMO
General Dentistry, Sleep Disorders, Neuromuscular Dentistry
Education And Professional Affiliations
- Bachelor of Science, Microbiology, Ohio State University
- Doctor of Dental Surgery, Loyola University Chicago (1977)
- Fellow of the International College of Cranio- Mandibular Disorders Former International Regent
- Lecturer American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine
- Lecturer International College of Craniomandibular Disorders
- Diplomat of the Academy of Pain Management
- Former Assistant Professor at Rush Medical School Sleep Disorder Service
- Charter Member of the Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (originally named Sleep Disorder Dental Society)
- Charter Member of Sleep Disorder Dental Society
- Credentialed by Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- Diplomat American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine
- Graduate of Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies
- American Academy of cosmetic Dentistry
- International academy of Comprehensive Esthetics
- International Academy of Oral Implantology
- American Dental Association
- Chicago Dental Society
- Illinois Dental Society
- Academy of General Dentistry
- American Equilibration Society
- American Academy of Craniofacial Pain
I love my life with Anna who completes and supports me in many ways. I feel so lucky to have found love and life again with Anna after losing my wonderful wife Elise to ovarian cancer after 40 years together.
Anna and my children and their spouses are a central focus of our life along with our four fantastic grandchildren, Freya, Abby, Gunnar and Ellie.
Reconstructive and cosmetic dentistry, implant rehabilitation, dental implants, pain and headache management, TMJ disorders, research and treatment of snoring and sleep apnea, anti-aging medicine, and stem cell research for collection of non-embryonic stem cells, for treatment of chronic disease and life extension.
I currently hold four issued patents in this area and hope to make major changes in the practice of anti-aging medicine and be involved in the extension of longer healthier lives.
Philosophy of Care
“I like to think of my patients as though they were members of my family. I want them to have the quality of care they can appreciate and that I would expect for myself or my family. That’s why I try to stay current with the latest findings in the fields of Sleep, Temporomandibular Dysfunction.
Dentistry is much more than white teeth but rather about healthy form and function including posture, breathing, and facial contours as well as physiologic health. I utilize the concepts of Personalized Care to treat all of my patients’ needs with cosmetic dentistry being the icing on the cake. I love changing peoples lives in positive ways and I am always delighted when I see patients blossom in unexpected ways after eliminating sleep and pain issues.
I still hope to change the worlds of dentistry and medicine with my patents involving the collection of stem cells from the developing third molar tooth bud that can be used in lieu of embryonic stem cells.”
I used to merely practice dentistry but now I find I am changing peoples lives.
Read articles authored by Dr. Ira Shapira.
Meet Dr. Shapira in person and find out why so many Chicago families put their trust in him. Call 1-847-533-8313 or email Think Better Life today for your sleep apnea evaluation.